USA Pear Export Facts
Pear Bureau Northwest is a non-profit marketing organization that promotes, researches, and develops markets for fresh pears grown in the U.S. states of Oregon and Washington on behalf of more than 800 growers and shippers. With international representatives in export markets around the world, Pear Bureau Northwest conducts promotional activities for USA Pears in 30 countries.
USA Pears are exported to nearly 50 countries, with 33% of the crop exported (including Canada) in the 2019/20 season. The top exported varieties are Green Anjou, Bartlett, Bosc, and Red Anjou. While Mexico is the top destination, the UAE, Brazil, India, Colombia, Israel, and the Central American Region were some of the best performing markets during the 2019/20 season.
- Season record high volume for Northwest pear exports:
- 192,743 MT / 9,637,150 standard box equivalents (including Canada) set in 2013/14
- Season record high value for Northwest pear exports:
- $218.5 million (including Canada) set in 2012/13
- Season record high average price per box exported:
- $24.75 set in 2017/18
- Exports to Mexico reached a record high of over 4.2 million boxes in 2011/12 and have consistently surpassed 3 million boxes in 8 of the last 10 seasons (falling in 2010/11 due to the impact of the Mexican retaliatory tariff on U.S. pears)